ITC and FAO event to shine spotlight on agribusiness at UN General Assembly
The International Trade Centre (ITC) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), will on 21 September host a side event at the UN General Assembly to highlight the importance of agri-business in achieving the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development.
Supported by the Governments of Italy and Japan, the event, Supporting Agribusiness for Increased Food Security, Nutrition and Sustainable Food Systems in the context of the 2030 Agenda, will explore ways that the Sustainable Development Goal 2 (End hunger, achieve food security and improve nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture) can be achieved by nurturing sustainable food systems.
Speakers, including Diane Holdorf, Chief Sustainability Officer and Vice President of Kellogg Company, Maria Helena Semedo, Deputy Director-General of FAO, and ITC Executive Director Arancha González will explore how stakeholders can best contribute to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Panellists will explore how trade policies can lead to greater market opportunities for smallholder producers and distributors of locally or nationally produced foods, which can help boost sustainable and inclusive growth as well as food security. On the agenda will also be the importance of innovative platforms to connect small-scale food producers to markets and to bring about more effective value chain coordination to benefit smallholders.
The event will be held in Conference Room B at 17:00 – 18:30 on 21 September.
To register and secure your participation, please email lon-registry [at] un.org (lon-registry[at]un[dot]org).
The event will take place at UN headquarters in New York where world leaders participate to address the implementation and ongoing importance of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
17.00 Welcoming Remarks
• Ms. Arancha González, Executive Director, International Trade Centre (ITC)
• Ms. Maria Helena Semedo, Deputy Director-General, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
17.10 Keynote statements
• Ambassador Pietro Sebastiani, Director General for Development Cooperation at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Italy
• Mr. Koji Miyaura, Director, Policy Division, Food Industry Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF), on behalf of Mr. Hiromichi Matsushima, Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries of Japan
17.20 Panel discussion
• Dr. Evelyn Nguleka, President, World Farmers’ Organization (WFO)
• Ms. Diane Holdorf, Chief Sustainability Officer and Vice President, Kellogg Company
• Ms. Carolina Medina, Youth Leader on SDGs, CEO and Co-founder, Agruppa
• Mr. Koji Miyaura, Director, Policy Division, MAFF of Japan
18.25 Closing remarks
• Ms. Arancha González, Executive Director, ITC