CBI, ITC Assess NTFII Accomplishments in Senegal, Determine Future Strategy (en)
Representatives from CBI and ITC gathered in Dakar from 1-4 October to assess the programme's progress and to determine its future direction. A highlight of the mission was "Mango Day", organised by National export promotion agency ASEPEX and the Coopérative Fédérative des Acteurs de l’Horticulture au Sénégal (CFAHS).
Over the course of 2012, NTFII supported a range of activities including:
- studies on mangos from Senegal's Niayes region, export opportunities in European Union markets and packaging of fresh mangos;
- a marketing workshop to prepare for Fruit Logistica and arranging for six companies and producer groups to participate in the trade show in Germany;
- training sessions for entrepreneurs operating in the mango sector and for financial advisers interested in supporting companies on financing, as well as 13 training sessions on good agricultural practices, the fight against mango flies and packaging practices;
- diagnostic missions for three businesses and two producer groups and support of organic farming and GLOBALGAP certification;
- the development of two standard contract models to reduce conflict on commercial agreements between producers and exporters and for export sales;
- the creation of a practical guide on the constitution of cooperative societies under OHADA's new Uniform Act;
- preparing for the implementation of an information cell and business intelligence on mangos.
During the mission, team members met with ASEPEX Managing Director Alioune Sarr and Trade Minister Mrs. Mata Sy Diallo and participated in a NTFII management meeting to discuss the project's progress and achievements and to consider future steps.